Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Time as a social function

I begin by asking a question: "What day does it feel like to you right now?"

My answer: Friday (actual day, Wednesday)

Yesterday, which was actually Tuesday, felt like Thursday. I'm willing to bet that everyone has had this feeling before. It is likely just an effect of our brain wishing it was the weekend. Additionally, if it is a particularly busy week, we might percieve time as moving slower than it does, so the work week seems longer. The same happens in reverse - a week can seem to fly by when the circumstances are just right.

The fact the we have all felt this feeling isn't that interesting. What IS interesting however, is that I notice that this feeling affects numerous people, in the same way, at the same time. How is this possible?

Yesterday at dinner, I off-handedly said "man, it feels like Thursday." My comment was immediately met with other comments:
"YEA! It feels like Friday for me!
"Me too!"
"Yea, it feels like Thursday for me, too."

Today at work while standing in line for lunch, I mentioned to my co-worker that it felt like Friday. She then promptly agreed with me.

How bizarre it is that our perception of time can be so consistent with each other's perception of time. Is this some kind of weird psycho-collective connection between other peoples' minds? Is it amazing coincidence? I refuse to believe it is merely caused by the fact that my friends and I do the same activities together, and so would perceive time in similar fashions. My co-worker feels the same way and she doesn't hang out with my other friends. For some reason, this week is longer than the rest. Plain and simple. Maybe Earth started spinning slower this week. Who knows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed this, too, but it seems to occur most around holidays. I think this week seems like it should be faster because last week was a short week (last Monday was Memorial Day). I think that would also explain why it seems to affect a wide variety of people all around the same time frame (people around us tend to have the same holidays). Since I don't work at all right now, I don't really ever get this feeling unless I'm out of town, at which point the opposite effect occurs: time speeds by.