Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Moving Day

Well, we finally started moving into our new place. After 5 years in the same apartment and 7 years in the same city, it's time to say goodbye to Berkeley. When I tell people that I'm moving, they all have the same questions to ask me.

Where are you moving to?...
Who are you moving with?...
How long have you been at your current place?...
WHAT????

Yes yes yes, I have been living in a cramped apartment for 5 years. Why is everyone so shocked when they hear that? Maybe it's because my apartment was small, maybe it's because I've been out of college for a couple years now, or maybe it's because people my age can't fathom staying in one place for more than 2 years.

Truth be told, I never minded this apartment. It was crowded, oftentimes very loud, and not that nice. But what did I expect? I lived 4 blocks away from a college campus, and this place is really targeted for students who need something temporary. The only thing that really mattered to me is the people with whom I spent my time. Actually, I will be continuing that sentiment as I move to Emeryville.

If I was smart and prudent, I would be moving to the South Bay now. My job is there, and I know I will be working for Google for at least a few more years. It makes the most sense to move down there, have a better commute, and not worry about catching shuttles, traffic, and hour and a half commutes. Instead I'm moving a couple miles away from Berkeley so I can stay close to the roommate I've had for 5 years and the friends that I rock out with almost every night.

When it comes down to it, this is the only thing I really want. If I moved to the South Bay, I would never see my friends, and my life would become EXTREMELY boring - working, sleeping, working, sleeping. who wants that???

-----

I also wanted to write about all the other changes that are happening now and in the near future, but maybe I'll save that one for when I'm at work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I drove up every weekend, sometimes even during the weekdays to hang out with you guys!

I really miss living at Berkeley with you guys. Like you said, it's small, noisy, and expensive, it's where all the memories are.

Whoa, 5 years in that apartment. Means that I missed 3 years of fun with you guys.